Sunday 6 November 2011

#feministwishlist

#feministwishlist on twitter - Just some food for thought

I have always been upfront about the fact that I am a feminist. This can get peoples backs up. And by the same token, few things irritate me more than when a fellow female says - 'I am in no way a feminist.' By saying that, you mean that you do not support equality across the sexes.

Being a feminist does not mean you hate men. Being a misandric does. (See, big difference.)

A anecdote on the subject I sometimes relay is the time when I was in a university class about Women in History.. and the lecturer went around the seminar group with one question:
'are you a feminist?'
Few people said 'yes.' And this was a group of people interested in women's history. The lecturer then explained the dictionary definition of a feminist is a person who believes in gender equality.
It does not mention hating men / women / transgender / ANYONE.
Neither does it mention bra burning.

Feminism gets a bad rep. But it's nothing to be ashamed of, everyone should be a feminist and it shouldn't be a big deal, why not treat it as a given?
What do you think?

(Image via http://www.ellenvanengelen.be/)

2 comments:

  1. Too right! I find it weird that I always have to defend that I'm a feminist! I think, like you said, people don't really know what it means. Also we need a few bra burners from time to time. The radicals make it possible to meet in the middle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I love hearing your thoughts and visiting your wonderful blogs as well. xxx